T he origins of the Boardman-Smith Funeral Chapel began in 1848 with the Hutchinson Undertaking Company. Mr. Hutchinson's cabinet making business also include coffins and undertaking services.
In approximately 1853 Thomas C. Smith, an employee of Hutchinson purchased the business. The firm passed through two generations of the Smith family and was eventually puchased by Will Smith's step-sons Julian and Robert Boardman. The firm had been operated from two locations in downtown Springfield(323-25 S. Fifth St. and 620 E. Edwards St.) and in 1958 moved to the present location of 800 S. Grand Ave. West.
Upon the death of Julian Boardman in 1970 Robert Boardman became the sole owner. In 1976 Robert's son-in-law, William Parr purchased the Funeral Chapel.
In 2006 Greg J. Schou,an employee since 1980 purchased the business.Funeral Director Rebecca E. Corey joined our firm in August of 2006.